Victorian Sweatshop Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #1 
Thought it was time to dip my toe in. Very slowly!  I think this 15 will clean up nicely! Badge - before.jpg  badge - after.jpg 
Carol

0
SteveH-VSS

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,178
Reply with quote  #2 
It is amazing the transformation that occurs! 
__________________
Antioch, California
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #3 
Shoot, I used the wrong size picture.

It is amazing!  Now I can't wait to take the rest of it apart!  The metal's the easy part to clean, I'm learning.  With many things in our life here at "The Black Fly Republic", (if you've been to Maine in May, June and July, you've experienced those nasty little …), have to enjoy the journey too.  Otherwise, why bother!  😉

Carol
0
Jim/Steelsewing

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,387
Reply with quote  #4 
Some of the metal is the easy part, the thick with rust ones not so much. Looking very nice so far, just keep traveling hopefully. =)
__________________
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
There is grace within forgiveness, but it's so hard for me to find - Ben Gibbard
My adventures with VSM's: http://steelsewing.blogspot.com
*QuiltnNan and asshat may be synonymous...
0
Rodney

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 971
Reply with quote  #5 
You're on your way!
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Jim and Rodney.  This is fun!  I thought I would start with something that only had 2 parts to it.  lol

I've been lucky so far, only encountered a tiny bit of rust on one washer and the head edge of the screw (those will go in the rust-be-gone jar.  I mean Evapo-Rust).  I think the 27 has quite a bit more rust on it compared to this one.  Practice on the 15 first.

I'm thinking the coating of woodstove smoke with some or a lot of nicotine may have protected this machine from rusting, considering it has lived by the ocean pretty much it's entire life.
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #7 
Since I posted a couple of pictures of this machine in the wanted section and it shows how grimy and dirty it is, I thought I'd post some photos that showed it is cleaning up nicely so far and I am making progress.  Slowly!

Warning, some photos/parts are disgusting!

Bobbin Winder Thread Guide - 

thread tensioner - 1 - before.jpg thread tensioner - 2 - before.jpg   thread tensioner - 1a - after.jpg  thread tensioner - 2a - after.jpg  thread tensioner - 2 - after.jpg 

to be continued

0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #8 
Nose Plate and Upper Tension - 

noseplate - 1 - before.jpg  noseplate - 1 - before- side.jpg  noseplate - 1 - after.jpg  noseplate - 1 - after - side.jpg 

upper tension - before.jpg  upper tension - after.jpg  

Looking at the pictures now, the light wasn't always great to see the difference, but maybe you will get the idea.  I also was able to clean all the screws.  They cleaned up nicely as well.

Will be continued...

0
SteveH-VSS

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,178
Reply with quote  #9 
well done!
__________________
Antioch, California
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH-VSS
well done!


Thanks Steve!  These were the easy parts.


0
WI Lori

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,331
Reply with quote  #11 
Ooh, it's so satisfying to restore the shine, isn't it, Bags?
__________________
Lori in Wisconsin
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI Lori
Ooh, it's so satisfying to restore the shine, isn't it, Bags?


Lori, absolutely! To see it clean up and shine like this, is why I decided I want to clean every inch of it.  [smile]
0
pgf

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,212
Reply with quote  #13 
They do shine up nicely sometimes, don't they?
__________________
My machines: http://projects.foxharp.net/sewing_machines/by-age
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf
They do shine up nicely sometimes, don't they?


Paul, they sure do.  With this being my first cleaning, etc., it's nice to go back and see the progress that's been made.

Carol
0
hilltophomesteader

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,036
Reply with quote  #15 
Wow - looking fabulously clean and shiny!  What are you using to get that nice clean sine?
__________________
Hilltophomesteader, on the wet side of Washington!
http://www.hilltophomesteader.blogspot.com
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltophomesteader
Wow - looking fabulously clean and shiny!  What are you using to get that nice clean sine?


Thank you hilltophomesteader!  I was going to lie and say smo, elbow grease, coffee, beer or a glass of Protocolo (no, the last three don't go on the machine), I thought I might get in trouble if I said how I really do it.  😉

If the parts are safe to have a little water on it, I put a little bit of Seventh Generation dish liquid on (the stuff we have in the kitchen, unscented of course) and smear it all over the part.  Let it sit for a bit, then take a soft toothbrush and lightly scrub it.  Rinse it off with water, dry as best I can, then let it dry overnight before I put those parts in a labeled bag.

So far it's been working pretty well.  I of course know that this will only work for some parts of the machine and other parts don't go near water.

If this is totally against VSM rules and regulations, please feel free to scold me!

Carol


0
SteveH-VSS

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,178
Reply with quote  #17 
no such thing.....  You are doing just fine.
__________________
Antioch, California
0
Kitcarlson

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 361
Reply with quote  #18 
I am impressed with results, looked up 7th Generation. It is sold by Ace Hardware here. I am going to buy some. Thank you for sharing about it.


__________________
Dave in middle TN
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
SteveH-VSS

2 hours ago
no such thing.....  You are doing just fine.


Thank you Steve!  I appreciate it.

Quote:
Kitcarlson

1 hour ago
I am impressed with results, looked up 7th Generation. It is sold by Ace Hardware here. I am going to buy some. Thank you for sharing about it.


Thank you Dave!  We've been using the 7th Gen. brand of items all over our house.  We have trouble with scents, dyes, etc. of any kind, so we turned to this brand.  We're fortunate we can get all of the items at our local grocery stores and Walmart.  A few years ago it seemed it was only available at the natural food stores.

I am tickled that I was finally able to contribute a tiny tidbit of information, instead of always asking for help. [biggrin]

Thank you everyone.  It means a great deal coming from all of you!

Carol
0
Phyllis1115

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 238
Reply with quote  #20 
I have an easy way to dry unpainted/lacquered metal sewing machine parts. 
I set my oven to 200F degrees , or less if possible, place a folded newspaper into a metal cake pan and layer the parts on top. The parts dry quickly and so far I've not damaged anything. 

__________________
-Phyllis in Iowa
"Is this Heaven?"  "No, it's Iowa."   (Field of Dreams)
0
WI Lori

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 3,331
Reply with quote  #21 
A food dehydrator works, too.
__________________
Lori in Wisconsin
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #22 
Phyllis and Lori, I obviously hadn't thought of those great ideas.  Thank you!

Carol
0
pgf

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,212
Reply with quote  #23 
I use a heat gun.
__________________
My machines: http://projects.foxharp.net/sewing_machines/by-age
0
Rocketeer

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 118
Reply with quote  #24 
Andy Tube (and I) highly recommend Krud Kutter -- it gets varnished oil off in such a short time, is water soluble and gentle, can be diluted for use, and is even safe for a very short time on some painted surfaces (always test though!)
0
Mavis

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,067
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis1115
I have an easy way to dry unpainted/lacquered metal sewing machine parts. 
I set my oven to 200F degrees , or less if possible, place a folded newspaper into a metal cake pan and layer the parts on top. The parts dry quickly and so far I've not damaged anything. 


And, in the end, you have a "seasoned" machine!  Just kidding.[smile]

__________________
Mavis
from Minnesota
0
Phyllis1115

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 238
Reply with quote  #26 
That's  cute, Mavis.
__________________
-Phyllis in Iowa
"Is this Heaven?"  "No, it's Iowa."   (Field of Dreams)
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #27 
I'm so far behind on this thread and thanking everyone for their help, encouragement and suggestions.  My apologies and sincere thanks to all of you.  It made it less scary to dive in!
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf
I use a heat gun.


Will a hair blow dryer get hot enough to use?  Until I get a heat gun?  I may still take the innards out of this one when I get the 15-90 cleaned and running.
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer
Andy Tube (and I) highly recommend Krud Kutter -- it gets varnished oil off in such a short time, is water soluble and gentle, can be diluted for use, and is even safe for a very short time on some painted surfaces (always test though!)


Thank you Rocketeer!  I've watched and followed along a couple of Andy Tube's videos.  Helped me a couple of times when I was absolutely stuck.

Krud Kutter is going in the tool kit.
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavis

And, in the end, you have a "seasoned" machine!  Just kidding.[smile]


I like that one!
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #31 
Just a quick update on the 15-91.  I finally have it up and running.  Still need to fiddle with the upper tension and the presser foot bar height, but overall I'm pickled tink.

The further along I got in this, my 1st adventure, the less scary it got.

Thank you to everyone for your help and encouragement!  Thanks to Dave (Kitcarlson) for sending a bobbin shuttle race back spring.  The original one was cracked.  Not good.  

Thanks to Paul (pgf) for checking to see if he had that part and to Jim for offering to take one of his machines apart.  None of that please!

I still haven't had a chance to work on the table, so I've set it in the base that the 15-90 came in (which is now completely disassembled!).

I realized I didn't get good pictures of the whole machine before, but I posted pictures before of how horribly patina-ed with nicotine it was.

I'll try and get better pictures when I get a chance.  Thanks again everyone! 20200725_124819.jpg  20200725_124840.jpg

0
pgf

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,212
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags


Will a hair blow dryer get hot enough to use?  Until I get a heat gun?  I may still take the innards out of this one when I get the 15-90 cleaned and running.


Certainly -- really, anything will work.  A sunny window, the top of a radiator.  After cleaning you don't want parts to be damp for days, but how likely is that?  I think sewing machines usually rust because they were stored poorly -- in a cellar, or a garage, or shed.  If they're in your house, the plated parts won't typically rust quickly.  If you clean the machine with oil, and manage to get some on the plated stuff, you'll be fine.  The cast iron parts are at risk in a humid summer, so again -- oil it once in a while.

paul

__________________
My machines: http://projects.foxharp.net/sewing_machines/by-age
0
Ericka

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 381
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags


Warning, some photos/parts are disgusting!


I'm still waiting to see the disgusting parts, lol!!!  I just put some parts in the sonic cleaner today with some water and dish soap similar to the 7th generation type.  Boy, were they nasty before.  Quite a few are looking much better now, but some had so much rust on them that the shine is gone....  Just the pitting is left 😉

Ericka
0
Chaly

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 892
Reply with quote  #34 
What a fantastic job, Bags!  You've done a lot of work and your machine is just glowing now. The 15-91 is one of my all time favorite machine for many reasons.  
0
ttatummm

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 236
Reply with quote  #35 
Bags, your 15-91 is absolutely lovely, she just sparkles.  It just warms my heart to see a poor, neglected machine brought back to life, great work.
__________________
Tammy

Make it sew. -- J.L. Picard
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf

Certainly -- really, anything will work.  A sunny window, the top of a radiator.  After cleaning you don't want parts to be damp for days, but how likely is that?  I think sewing machines usually rust because they were stored poorly -- in a cellar, or a garage, or shed.  If they're in your house, the plated parts won't typically rust quickly.  If you clean the machine with oil, and manage to get some on the plated stuff, you'll be fine.  The cast iron parts are at risk in a humid summer, so again -- oil it once in a while.
paul


Got it.  The sunny window came in handy many times to try and loosen up dried oil and parts.  Ugh, humid summer!  Don't know about your area Paul, but here the humidity has been horrendous this year.  So a little more oiling than what I would normally do.
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericka

I'm still waiting to see the disgusting parts, lol!!!  I just put some parts in the sonic cleaner today with some water and dish soap similar to the 7th generation type.  Boy, were they nasty before.  Quite a few are looking much better now, but some had so much rust on them that the shine is gone....  Just the pitting is left 😉
Ericka


Ericka, when I have a couple more minutes, I'll post some of the before pictures.  As Bug, 5 year old gd, would say, EWWWW!  lol

I was lucky, that there wasn't any pitting to speak of.  Or rust.  Just the nicapitina!
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaly
What a fantastic job, Bags!  You've done a lot of work and your machine is just glowing now. The 15-91 is one of my all time favorite machine for many reasons.  


Thank you Chaly!  It's been great fun seeing the transformation of this one.  I think it cleaned up really nicely.  A little bit more fiddling with the upper tension, but she sews!  First thing to go under the needle, baby bibs.  We need more of those! [biggrin]
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttatummm
Bags, your 15-91 is absolutely lovely, she just sparkles.  It just warms my heart to see a poor, neglected machine brought back to life, great work.


Thank you Tammy! I think she sparkles too!  Can't wait to start sewing with her.
0
Chaly

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 892
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags


Thank you Chaly!  It's been great fun seeing the transformation of this one.  I think it cleaned up really nicely.  A little bit more fiddling with the upper tension, but she sews!  First thing to go under the needle, baby bibs.  We need more of those! [biggrin]


Please share your project when you've finished.
0
victrola

Member
Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #41 

Bags, your 15-91 looks amazing!

I had 2 pass through my hands, and since I didn't "bond" with them I passed them on to other friends. Mine were also despicably grimy. Where you polished with toothbrush, water, and dish detergent, I sometimes used toothbrush, water, and baking soda which I found to be effective enough without damaging. Yours, however, came out shinier. [cool]

What is really great about your machine are the decals. It seems that every 15-91 I have seen had both flaky shellac and highly worn decals.

Bravo! Enjoy sewing with this machine.

0
pgf

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,212
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags


Got it.  The sunny window came in handy many times to try and loosen up dried oil and parts.  Ugh, humid summer!  Don't know about your area Paul, but here the humidity has been horrendous this year.  So a little more oiling than what I would normally do.


Yeah, like transparent pea soup.  Just a walk with the dog in the shady woods and I need to change my sopping shirt.

__________________
My machines: http://projects.foxharp.net/sewing_machines/by-age
0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by victrola

Bags, your 15-91 looks amazing!

I had 2 pass through my hands, and since I didn't "bond" with them I passed them on to other friends. Mine were also despicably grimy. Where you polished with toothbrush, water, and dish detergent, I sometimes used toothbrush, water, and baking soda which I found to be effective enough without damaging. Yours, however, came out shinier. [cool]

What is really great about your machine are the decals. It seems that every 15-91 I have seen had both flaky shellac and highly worn decals.

Bravo! Enjoy sewing with this machine.



Thank you victrola!  I kept meaning to try the baking soda method, but dish soap worked so well, I just stuck with that.  I think the next one I'll try that method.  I like the idea of it.  I think the reason the shiny parts and the decals came out so well is because they were protected with a thick layer of nicopatina.  (I'm not an expert and I don't play one on TV [biggrin] [wink]

Yep, I was lucky with this one because the no flaking shellac and the decals are pretty much complete.

It is definitely different sewing with the 15 compared to the 66.  I like them both so far for their differences


0
Bags

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 352
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf

Yeah, like transparent pea soup.  Just a walk with the dog in the shady woods and I need to change my sopping shirt.


Oy!  I feel your pain!  Yep, same here.  Except not walking a dog, just taking out the compost.  Sounds like you and us are in for more of the same coming up this week.

Stay dry!  Or try to [biggrin]
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.